Prof. Anthony G. Wedd
Prof. Wedd obtained his B.Sc. in 1963 and Ph.D in 1968 from the University of Tasmania, Australia. He was later appointed as a Lecturer and Senior Lecturer in Chemistry (1971 – 1986) and then as a Reader in Chemistry in La Trobe University (1987 – 1990). In 1991, he joined the University of Melbourne as a Professor of Chemistry. He was awarded a D.Sc. from the University of Tasmania in 1996. He was appointed a Professorial Fellow in 2011.
Outside the lab, Prof. Wedd enjoys spending time with his wife, Sue, and his children Melanie, Lisa, Barnaby, Robin, and Alexander (and ten grandchildren).
Prof. Wedd has over 200 original research papers and reviews in refereed international journals, books and encyclopediae. He received a high citation level of published work, including nine “citation classics” (> 100 citations).
- Inaugural Council Member, Society of Biological Inorganic Chemistry, 1997-1999.
- Inaugural Member, Editorial Advisory Board, Journal of Biological Inorganic Chemistry, 1997-1999, 2002-4; 2009-.
- Member, Editorial Advisory Board, Journal of Inorganic Biochemistry, 2006-10.
- Member, International Organising Committee, International Conferences on Biological Inorganic Chemistry (IBIC), 2003-present.
- Member, Chemistry Panel, Australian Research Council, 1998-2000; reader, Physics Chemistry and Geoscience Panel, Australian Research Council, 2001-5, 2007-15.
- Plenary or invited lecturer at the 7th, 8th, 10th, 12th, 13th, 14th, 15th, 16th and 18th International Conferences on Biological Inorganic Chemistry (the major conference serving that research area).
- Chair, 11th International Conference on Biological Inorganic Chemistry, Cairns, Australia, July 19-23, 2003.
- Gulbenkian Professor at the Faculty of Sciences and Technology, New University of Lisbon, Portugal, 2006.
- Editor, Volume 4 (early transition metals) of the encyclopedia Comprehensive Coordination Chemisty II, Elsevier, 2004.
- Plenary or invited lecturer at 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 5th, 6th and 7th Asian Conferences on Biological Inorganic Chemistry, 2003-14; invited lecturer at 9th and 10th European Conferences on Biological Inorganic Chemistry, 2007-10; invited lecturer, Frontiers of Chemistry Symposium, Singapore, 2009.
- Plenary lecturer, 4th Symposium on Advanced Biological Inorganic Chemistry, Mumbai, India, 2009.
- Plenary lecturer, 7th International Meeting on Copper in Biology, Italy, 2010.
- Burrows Award and plenary lecturer, 39th International Conference on Coordination Chemistry, Australia, 2010.
- Invited lecturer (with Z. Xiao), Meeting of the International Society for Zinc Biology, Melbourne, Australia, January 2012.
- Invited lecturer, Metallomics 2013 (4th International Symposium), Oviedo, Spain.
- Keynote lecturer, Biometals 2014 (July, Durham, USA); Biometals 2012, (Brussels).
- Invited speaker in symposium “Homeostasis of Transition Metal Ions in Biological Systems” at the Pacifichem 2015 Conference, December, 2015.
- Series Editor, RSC Metallobiology Series, Royal Society of Chemistry, 2010-present.
- Editor (with W. Maret), “Binding, Transport and Storage of Metal Ions in Biological Systems” RSC Metallobiology Series, Royal Society of Chemistry, for publication in 2013.
- Convenor, Student Inorganic Chemistry Symposium of the Victorian Branch of the Royal Australian Chemical Institute, 2012-15.